Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chest x-rays and broken elevators

We have been in China for almost two weeks. It was a long time coming and we finally made it. The process to get a Chinese work visa is far more complicated that we thought it would be. The difficulty in getting ours is that I am getting a work permit, which is the complicated part. After the almost two months of paperwork before we left, once we arrived we had to continue the process by getting a medical exam. We did this the first day. In about 45 minutes total we both had the following procedures done: an interview, EKG, eye exam, chest x-ray, ultrasound, blood draw and a urine sample. Let's just say HIPPA, the FDA, customer service and patient privacy aren't concepts that have made it their way to China yet. The picture below is where we left our sample cups after the last exam.

After the medical exams were completed, I needed to have an interview with the Public Safety Bureau. I did that a few days later. I had to fill out a seven page application that was reviewed by a police official while I was present. It went well. I won't know if I passed for another week or so. Apparently there was some paperwork that the government hasn't finished yet. More red tape. But that is not the end. After the government determines that I am not a threat we will file for our residency permits. Once those are completed, we are done - for a year anyway. Then we will start it all over. :)

Just an aside, before we left home we packed all of our belongings into two containers (see a previous post). Neither one of these containers have left the US yet. Until we get our residency permits they can't. We might not see our stuff until Christmas.

At the end of last week we went apartment hunting. At one end of Shenzhen is an area called Shekou. It is the region where the majority of the expats live. Originally it was the only place foreigners were allowed to live. That is no longer the case. The name Shekou literally means "snake's mouth". We were told that some locals call it the area where the snake eats the elephant. Guess who's who. We looked at quite a few apartments and found one that we like. We can't move in until, you guessed it, more red tape. Hopefully it will be early next week. Here are a few pictures of the family room and dining room. There will be another post with more pictures and details once we move in.


I went into work early last week to meet my team and get situated. I work in a building about 30 minutes from our apartment. Harman rents the 6th and 7th floors of the building. Below is a picture of the building and the front lobby of our office.

I was able to pick from a group of small cubicles. Below is a picture of mine. The cubes here are much smaller. Our office space is essentially one large room. We have cubes along one side and our test area on the other. Having the test area right next to our office space makes for an interesting environment. The speaker and amplifier teams are constantly testing our new products. Throughout the day we are serenaded to music ranging from Michael Jackson to Lady Gaga, traditional Chinese music to the Eagles and movie themes from The Titanic and James Bond. It is interesting. Below are a few pictures.



When I went into work on Monday another adventure was waiting for me. I got into the elevator and pushed the 6th floor button. Halfway between the 5th and 6th floor the elevator made a funny noise, bounced a bit and stopped. The display started flashing "E". Luckily I wasn't in the elevator alone. Another Harman employee was stuck there with me. Even better was that he spoke English. We decided it was a good opportunity to exchange names and get comfortable, not knowing how long we'd be there. He offered to share his coffee and I, my banana. We both had our cell phones so I called the administrative assistant in our office. She had a hard time understanding that we were stuck in the elevator. She called the building staff and three guys came and pried the door open about 10 minutes later. We climbed out and got into the other elevator and went to work. I'd never been stuck in an elevator before. That was kind of fun.

We are quickly getting situated here in Shenzhen and look forward to the other adventures we will have here!

3 comments:

  1. Um wow! That is quite a lot of procedures! It sounds like a lot of red tape and paper work just to be there. What a long process. I hope you get your stuff before Christmas! The apartment looks cute and homey though. I can’t wait to hear more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought the red tape to get into BC was bad. You officially win. WE already miss you guys a lot! And who will be there to take family pictures for us at Scottie's wedding? By the way, Scottie is getting married in like three weeks. Crazy girl is worse than I was.

    Good luck! We love you guys and love hearing about all of your fun adventures in China.

    -Ferrin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... all the experiences in China, just starting... I am excited to hear more about it. Glad you are getting settled and that you moved into an apartment a few days ago!

    ReplyDelete